I have a great many things to say about this, as you might expect, as I maintain a flourishing TA business to this day (ironically, I had actually just come home from picking up items from a new Trading Assistant client when I got this email) but, as I don’t have the time to do a proper write-up on this today, I’ll just pass eBay’s official release along:
August 13, 2013
Hello eBay Trading Assistants,
Thank you for your participation in the Trading Assistant program and the work you have done to help others sell their items on eBay. We’ve been listening to feedback from many of you and have heard that the program is not meeting expectations or delivering a significant number of sales leads. As a result, on September 20, 2013, the Trading Assistant program will be retired. Please note, this decision has no impact on your eBay account or your ability to buy and sell on eBay.
Here’s what it means to you:
- eBay will no longer host a Trading Assistant directory or provide sellers with Trading Assistant program leads
- eBay sellers can no longer use “eBay Trading Assistant Program” logos or other marketing materials referring to the Trading Assistant program
To allow time for processing any remaining leads, the Trading Assistant portal will be available until October 18, 2013 to all registered program members.
For eBay sellers who are “Registered eBay Drop-off Locations” or any other sellers who have physical program marketing materials (flyers, cards, signage, etc.), the deadline to discontinue all usage of these items is October 31, 2013. As stated above, use of digital logos, marketing materials or other program marks will be prohibited as of September 20, 2013.
Note: all eBay sellers may however continue to use the eBay brand within the guidelines of the eBay seller agreement. Click here for more details.
Today’s announcement has no impact on the eBay Education Specialist program.
We appreciate all of our eBay sellers and the work you do in your local communities. Our strategy at eBay is simple: provide our customers the best possible selling and buying experience. We are committed to your success. As new programs and initiatives continue to be developed, eBay will make every effort to find more compelling ways to engage with our sellers.
If you have any additional questions, please contact us.
The eBay Seller Program Team
Important Dates/Actions Needed:
- September 20 – Trading Assistant program is discontinued, public access to Trading Assistant portal/directory is suspended, all digital program logos and other marketing materials must be taken down
- October 18 – Registered program members must process all remaining leads from within the Trading Assistant portal queue as access to the portal will be discontinued on this date.
- October 31 – Any physical program signage or other program marketing materials may no longer be used
Until I have a chance to do my write-up, what do you think of eBay’s decision?